Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Holiday Challenge: Day 3

Good morning, creatures of the internet,

or I guess whatever time you're reading this at. But here I am on the third day of my personal challenge and I'm feeling pretty good. Although, I'm a bit tired as of right this moment as I sip away at my coffee (but now that I've come back to proofread my post that coffee really did the trick!), but I'm feeling good about the progress I've been making. This process has been really challenging me to practice discipline. Normally when I write, I usually think of new ideas and plot advances while I lay in bed at night trying to fall asleep. That seems to be the only time where I can clear my mind completely of the rest of the world and focus on new ideas. And usually, at least for my other books, there's no deadline reminding me of a strict schedule. I had weeks and months at my disposal to just let the ideas flow freely on their own time, but now I need to persuade them with chocolates and shiny things so that I can work faster. It's a little stressful wondering if I'll be able to finish it on time, but honestly, I find it just as much an exciting rush!

The reason I say this is because of the feeling I experience when being able to overcome a hurtle. Charlie Cradle's Wonderful Existence is proving to be the most challenging story I've ever attempted to write yet. It's got to be funny, witty and smart, much more detailed since it's not a Middle Grade book, and be a convincing love story as well. That last point is the reason I often sit and stare at the screen wondering what to type next. I like to consider myself to be at least a little romantic, but trying to create a character who is firing on all cylinders in that department is more difficult that I imagined. At least for the main character, Charlie Cradle, an awkward and shy 24 year old woman who has always lived her life without risk and mainly keeps to herself, is a little easier to write since I actually find myself having a somewhat similar personality. But that's another thing - writing in the perspective of a adult female lead is something I've never done either. I'm just hoping I am doing this right.

At the time I am writing this I am currently over my goal word count from yesterday. Today I could write a minimum of 264 words and still be on track since I wrote an excess of 1,258 words over yesterday's goal count. But I'm definitely not settling with 264 words for today. The more I write with the time that I have, then the less stress to deal with on each following day. That will also give me more time to brainstorm ideas when I fall into a rut. Now, I must be back to writing and try to avoid wasting time on Facebook at all cost.

Your humble writing gremlin,
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment