Sunday, December 16, 2012

First Draft of Second Book & Holiday Challenge

Ahoy thar, creatures of the internet,

I'm extremely excited to announce that I have officially completed the first draft of The Genesis Traveler, the second book in my Sky Caller series. I still don't know what I should called the series; i.e. The Sky Caller Chronicles, The Sky Caller Trilogy, Tales of Ordica... That is still up in the air. Even though I've unofficially released The Sky Caller for purchase through Lulu.com (unofficial because I'm still working on getting it professionally edited), I'll wait until I publish it through a different publishing company before I attach one of those titles. But as of right now, I'm just incredible excited that I was able to finish writing the story for my second book.

The Genesis Traveler takes place years after the events of The Sky Caller, which follows the story of two characters who are going to be important in the next and last book. This book is just about the same length as the first, being a little more than 1,200 words over, totaling at approximately 63,000 words. I'm going to hold off making edits and corrections for a while though, because I'm in no hurry to publish it yet. I'd like The Sky Caller to get a little more recognition first. So, in the meantime, I've decided to challenge myself this Christmas break with a new project!

During the next 22 days (December 16 - January 6), I'm going to attempt finishing a novella I'm writing for my wife, Charlie Cradle's Wonderful Existence. Check out the page above to learn some about it!

My goal is to make this book total at approximately 40,000 words. As of right now I have 6,512 words, so if I subtract that from my set total and then divide it by 22, to reach my goal I will need to write a total of approximately 1,522 words a day until my end date. I chose not to participate in NaNoWriMo last month because of my college workload, but now that I have the rest of the holiday to be stress free of school, I can focus a lot more time and energy into writing. Will I be able to achieve my goal? Honestly, I have no idea. Writing about love, comedy and a female main character is going to be challenging, especially for me. But I will never know unless I try.

Every couple of days or so during this time, I'm going to post about my progress and things that randomly pop into my head concerning the challenge.

Your humble writing gremlin,
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment